Excuse me!!! There is a worm in my drink….


I’ve heard about drinks with worms inside the bottle...... 
But never got a chance to taste any ... so when a friend said a Mexican drink Mezcal is available in the local market... i decided to get one the next time i go booze shopping... 
But the chance to taste came much before as the same friend invited me over for a tasting session. 
When he bought the bottle, he didn't realise there is a worm inside. He thought its normal tequila. After having a few drinks he realised there is something lying at the bottom of the bottle. This made him read the label and he was shocked to find out it’s a fried worm. Once he realised the same, he just couldn't stomach the drink anymore... so the resident boozer and foodie (me) was called in to finish the bottle... was I thrilled or what...    
The drink tastes very similar to tequila. And you drink it straight like tequila. Nothing exceptional or extraordinary… the usual…. But the worm adds the special effect and becomes the topic of conversation….  
But the taste is not something which will make me buy the bottle... but the worm will... just for the "something different" feel. Will be good in a party…
After some googling I found out that this is made from the same agave plant like tquila, but the production technique is different...
Read more in Wiki or here.
The worm is a recent addition, not part fo the tradition, just a cheeky marketing idea hit upon by some clever trader in Mexico or US to make their Mezcal unique and looks like they have succeeded...  
Didn’t get a chance to taste the worm as I couldn’t finish off the bottle... as I had an early morning errand the next day… More than half a bottle of tequila on a week day is not advisable especially when one has got an early morning wake up call...
So I left it for the next time... am sure it will taste good... anything which is pickled in alcohol for months has to taste good ;-) 

Comments